The benefits of yoga
WHAT OUR STUDENTS HAVE GAINED FROM YOGA AT INDIE YOGA:
“well I have only been doing this for 6 months, so I am possibly only at the “tip of the iceberg” for any benefits. But what I do know is that whilst I have not lost any weight, I have definitely felt that my body is toning and I am really sorry that I did not measure myself in the beginning! Centremetres lost….most definitely. I am also gaining strength in my arms that I never had before so when I break a 100 on my golf score I am also going to attribute this to yoga….YAY, and u are going to hear all about it!!!” Jane Stroebel
“Its so much more than I expected, knowing the technique of yoga has made it so much more than I first experienced”
“Yoga, and the community, have been a real support for me”
“I miss it when I am gone”
“I used to spend 3 x 1 hour sessions per day in traction to relieve neck pain, and since starting yoga I don’t get into traction at all!”
BENEFITS OF YOGA
- Fascilitates a physical, mental and emotional detox, eliminating toxins one can experience life without a lot of the hassles.
- it works on all the systems of the body like respiratory – increasing your lung capacity; improving circulation ; and through ashtanga yoga – very strongly working on your central nervous system – decreasing stress held within the body, nervous tension and anxiety.
- Yoga is cardio-vascular due to the nature of many of the movements and has made me personally quite fit as a result.
- Great for cross-training because of the flexibility it gives to athletes of any kind – but is a strong workout ensuring that athletes (rock climbers, cyclists) don’t lose their strength in the process.
- Facilitates focus and concentration, increases productivity
- Through focus one is able to meditate or find silent moments, which brings peace to mind.
- Enhances sleep and aids against insomnia
- Increases energy available and vitality in the body
- Aids with balance, helps with depression caused when your system is out of balance
- You will lose weight and increase muscle tone but as with all yoga styles, depending on how regularly you do yoga.
- Its slows down the ageing process as more oxygen moves into the cells (including those of the skin) making them more vibrant and elastic.
- Yoga strengthens the bones through weight-bearing postures and prevents future bone generative diseases
- Cleanses the blood through strong breathing, which also increases your lung capacity, and more oxygen in your body is a strong healthy body.
- Massages the glandular system which aids metabolism and calcium absorption into the body.Each posture has its specific benefit, targeting a specific organ, system or muscle group etc.The list of Benefits is LONG! Here are just a few benefits from just the Standing Poses which are a small portion of the encyclopaedia of yoga poses:
- Reducing accumulation of fats around the waist and abdomen
- Curing stomach ailments including constipation
- Elimination of flatulence
- Toning of the liver and spleen
- Strengthening the back, hips and legs
- Realigning the skeletal system
- Strengthening the spinal cord
- Correction of digestion and respiratory problemsBenefits of seated poses:Benefits of seated poses:
- Dissolving fat
- Strengthening digestive organs and increasing digestive fire
- Strengthening the heart and spinal column
- Curing constipation, indigestion
- Eliminating water retention
- Helping sciatica and balancing diabetes
- Easing menstrual cramps over time
- Strengthening the womb
- Strengthening and cleansing the kidneys